We are recruiting!
We have two open positions as Research Scientist or PostDoc at Ecole Normale Superieure Paris.
Potential Areas of Research
We use strong theoretic foundations to solve practical problems through open-source software. We are interested in inter-disciplinary research at the intersection of these topics:
- Compilers (LLVM)
- Static Analysis of C++ code (clang)
- Abstract Interpretation based Program Analysis
- Performance and Cache Models
- Test Case Generation
- Human–Compiler Interface
- Domain Specific Compilation
- Deep Learning (TensorComprehension)
- Climate Science
- High-Performance Computing
- Open Source Hardware
- Compiler Support for RISC-V
- Software/hardware Codesign
- SMT and Constraint Solving (Z3, isl)
- Mixed Integer Linear Programming
- SAT Solving
- Parametric Counting Using Barvinok’s Algorithm
- Automatic Theorem Proving for Compiler Verification and Constraint Solving Solving (Lean, Coq)
- Effective Compilation from Functional Languages to Imperative Code
- Artificial Intelligence for Compilers and Constraint Solvers
Who are we looking for?
Our research group is purposefully diverse but joined by a strong desire to learn, explore, and dig deep into any of the topics we are interested in.
- see yourself doing cutting-edge research with direct practical impact
- have strong foundations in computer science or mathematics
- to write high-quality software,
- to collaborate on computer architecture design, or
- to develop and proof new mathematical algorithms
- enjoy both working as a team and collaborating internationally
- at the same time appreciate focused self-guided work
- and have a desire to do high-quality work
we would like to talk to you!
- Internships: BSc/MSc/PhD students are eligible for internships (3-12 months)
- PhD: Master’s degree required
- Research Scientist: Master’s degree required
- Post-Doc: (almost) finished PhD
There is no unique technical skill we require. Relevant experience in some of the potential research topics should be pointed out, but we appreciate also candidates who move fields but can make a strong case why they will be productive in our areas of interest.
A convincing application should include:
- a letter of motivation covering your research interests
- your CV, degrees, and grades
- the earliest possible starting date
- if available
- a copy of your thesis
- pointers to open source projects you contribute to, hackatons you participated, competitions you completed
- previous publications (including descriptions of your contributions)
- reference letters or contact information for references
Applications should be sent to tobias dot grosser at inf dot ethz dot ch and should include the tag [JOB] in the subject.
France, and especially Paris as its capital, is an exceptional place to live and work. The French ``Joie de vivre’’ – the joy of living – not only refers to exceptional food and wine, but really a unique lifestyle. The international touch of a global city, several world-known universities and research institutes, and a large English speaking expat community provide plenty of connection points even for non-french speakers.
Ecole Normale Superieure is France’s leading research university. Even though comparatively small, the university has educated ten Fields Medal and eight Nobel Prize recipients and is by far leading the Nobel Prize per alumni ranking worldwide. The ENS computer science department, hosts leading researchers in machine learning, synchronous systems, cryptography, abstract interpretation, and compilation and provides plenty of collaboration opportunities. ENS also works closely with IRILL, the french center for research and innovation on free software, and ENS researchers often take part in the Paris LLVM social events.
Work Life Balance
Scientific research targeted at outstanding scientific contributions is by nature competitive and at times stressful. To obtain exceptional scientific results it is especially important to ensure a relaxed atmosphere with time to focus, collaborate, and invest in a research agenda that sets you apart from day-to-day competition. We support a work-style that allows you to be productive while at the same time ensures that you have the resources to build yourself a strong out-of-work network.
We offer six weeks of paid vacations each year.