— FPGA Compilation and Analytical Modeling —
We are currently looking for an exceptional young researcher for the field of FPGA high-level synthesis and analytical program modeling. As a junior researcher with completed masters (or exceptionally bachelors) degree, you will be working with us as scientific staff on the forefront of research. Our research goal is to enable automatic FPGA accelerator compilation for large-scale programs using high-level synthesis, overlay networks, and similar tools to address the challenge of programming tomorrows HPC and data-center machines. Using advanced polyhedral loop optimization techniques (LLVM Polly) and modern high-level synthesis frameworks we aim to significantly lower the barrier of entry to FPGA accelerator programming. While collaborative work is of high importance to us, even as a junior researcher you will soon get the freedom to independently develop your own research agenda within the broader context of the project.
Depending on your interest, there is the option to convert after the first year towards a PhD program at ETH Zurich or ENS Paris
We are looking for exceptional candidates and not perfect job-profile matches! If you are strong in math or programming and have an exciting academic or industrial background, don’t hesitate to apply!
- Create high-performance FPGA designs at ease
- Expert in compilation and code generation (e.g., LLVM, gcc, …)
- Strong mathematical background (e.g., linear programming, (non)-linear optimization, …)
- Develop high-quality software and have
- Experience with:
- High-level synthesis (e.g., Xilinx Vivado, SDAccel)
- Overlay networks
- Polyhedral loop modeling (e.g., Polly, isl, Pluto)
- Accelerators (e.g., CUDA, OpenCL, Vulkan)
- First high-quality publications (plus)
- Enjoy to collaborate and interact with other researchers
- Shape and design your own research agenda independently (within the overall project goals)
- A diverse research environment: world-leading experts in machine learning, computer architecture, big data, compilers, networks, and HPC – all working in a single group
- Work on practical large scale problems: we optimize the weather model that delivers daily forecasts in Germany, Switzerland, Japan, and many other countries; we also look into large-scale data-query optimization and machine learning
- Get access to the worlds fastest supercomputer outside China
- Close collaboration with the open source community (e.g., LLVM, Polly, …)
- Close interaction with industry (e.g., with Xilinx, ARM, Qualcomm)
- Live in one of the most livable cities of the world (Zurich regularly is at the top of relevant rankings)
- Very competitive salary (Switzerland has best research salaries in Europe)
This senior position requires a doctoral degree (or relevant experience) in computer science, computer engineering, or equivalent experience. A successful candidate has significant experience in compilation, parallel programming, and analytical modeling. A proven record of working and collaborating on larger research and development projects, and a record of developing high-quality (open source) software is important to us. We do not expect expertise in all areas, but believe that an excellent candidate adds expert knowledge in one of our core areas of interest.
Excellent skills in spoken and written English are required.
Your application should include a letter of motivation (at most 2 pages), covering your research interests and how they will support this project, a description of your PhD thesis (or relevant work experience), and evidence of independent self-motivated research and software development. Please highlight experience in collaborative projects and especially open source software development. Please include your CV, degrees and grades, a copy of your thesis, publications (including descriptions of the candidates contributions), other relevant documents, and the earliest possible starting date. Please also include at least one letter of recommendation and contact information for references.
ETH Zurich and Switzerland
Please see our Jobs page for general information about working
at ETH Zurich.
Starting date: Anytime from now
Working Location: Zurich, Switzerland – ETH Zurich
Please email your application to tobias dot grosser at inf dot ethz dot ch and include the tag [JOB] in the subject line.